The 52: A Christmas to Treasure

   From June 2023 to June 2024 I'll be watching a lgbtqia+ film each week and coming back here with my thoughts, feelings and plenty of hopes we aren't met with the "kill your gays" trope. I call this The 52.


An unsurprising revelation: I love a terrible christmas film. Trashy, ridiculous, utterly inconceivable and with so many plot holes it looks like swiss cheese attacked by bora? That’s my cup of christmas-time tea.

But A Christmas to Treasure was just… bad.


Image credit: IMDB



A group of six high school friends reunite, two now married, two exes and two flirting. Few of them want to be back in their hometown, but an adventure is afoot and if ~anyone~ says something about Ms. Marley again I’ll scream. I know she’s the ghost of christmas past, but really, even I can appreciate some subtlety.


I’ve found a handful of LGBTQIA+ christmas films and while this isn’t as bad as the worst (don’t remind me of what I went through with A New York Christmas Wedding) it’s very much not good. I’ve just found out the leading couple are actually married, which is very cute! Unfortunately I spent the whole film wishing they’d swapped out the actors because they had no chemistry and honestly just spent the film seeming like they hated each other, but not in a ~hot gay way~ like I think they were aiming for.


It’s very funny to watch a christmas film where the couple dislike each other as much as they do in any of the Marvista films I lap up. I mean I WISH we got better in one of the few lgbtqia+ films, but I guess at least we’re not being… treated differently?


Oh yeah, and anytime a problem came up or these two guys bickered, one of them would always remind the other that their family was dead. Solve all your problems with guilt tripping your romantic lead!


So, the manipulation was strong and they weren’t well suited and I didn’t like it. Ok byeeeeeee.


Like things shorter? Follow me on Letterboxd and see my review

Comments