The 52: Red, White and Royal Blue

 From June 2023 to June 2024 I'll be watching a lgbtqia+ film each week and coming back here with my thoughts, feelings and plenty of hopes we aren't met with the "kill your gays" trope. I call this The 52.


Alright, I guess I’ll read the book.


Image credit: Wikipedia


Red, White, and Royal Blue was a surprise. Like, I barely moved in the 2hr run time and I don’t think I even had a crocheting project in my hands, which is practically unheard of.


I’ve actually had a stab at reading the novel once or twice before and remember it being a lot more adult, but I suppose they made the film for a… wider audience? Either way I feel like it translated well, at least what I know of it, although I did come away wanting many questions answered on why they filmed a sex scene like THAT (that hand shot was just… a choice) and why we got no connection with any character aside from the main two; we’ve got Madam President, sure, and a best friend, a supportive sister, but… ask me 3 questions about any of them and I’m almost certain the film won’t have covered covered it.


It could have definitely done with a killer soundtrack (you can’t mention Bowie and then ~not~ use Bowie), a more realistic portrayal of the club scene (what am I talking about, I’ve never been clubbing- maybe people do dance like that?), and an explanation as to why Henry has such terrible communication skills. I like the boy fine, but if you’re going to follow a pattern than at least TELL US WHY.


Neither of the lads (Alex and Henry) are… anything particular special. In the nicest way. They’re fine, they’re sweet, they have very significant smiles and the actors are pretty much pitch perfect, and that’s about it. Which is how I feel, in general, about Red, White and Royal Blue.


I’d watch it again, but not more than once every three or four years. It’s not a classic or a favourite, but it was just… pretty good.


I did have a hard time believing in a world in which a US President doesn’t immediately lose an election because of a bi son, where people come out in such fervour across the UK at the discovery of a gay prince… because I just know that in our world it wouldn’t happen. I WISH I could live in this version of the world, where no one has to question their safety because of their sexuality, and it made me a bit sad to watch and think “I’ll probably never see this”. It’s not a perfect world, but it’s a more tolerant one than I might ever see and that broke my heart.


Also, get Stephen Fry out of here.


Like things shorter? Follow me on Letterboxd and see my review.

Comments