A start of something...?

There's something oddly daunting about a first page, a new beginning - be it trying a new hobby for the first time or, and this is the one that particularly gets me, looking at a first page. There are so many possibilities and routes you could take: magic and writing that is golden! magic and writing that is passionate! writing and more writing! just genuine magic!


Unfortunately the magic aspect, which is clearly of the utmost importance to me (it really is), is not the thing I generally hone in on. It's the equally present but less fantastic options for what is ahead: disaster. catastrophe. something you are unhappy with.

That's how it has come to be that I started this blog a few weeks ago, but am only just writing my first post today. It's why, on the days I am not literally overflowing with ideas and inspiration and passion, writing can be really difficult.

For the past... unnumbered years I have been working on a novel. I've done an array of short pieces (poetry, prose, undefinable) in the intrium, but my main focus for so many years has been editing this novel that I wrote one NaNo and fell head over heels in love with. I have been sculpting and rewriting and changing and rereading and rereading and rereading the same thing for years - and I love it. Editing is something that occasionally frustrates me, but for the most part I love it because it turns my writing from passion project into a glittering ball of magic that I am so proud of. And I am: I am really proud of this book I've spent so long working on. I adore it. (I love you, too, other writing projects! You are just not the sole focus here, be patient please.)

I noticed, however, that when I decided to write a new novel late last year... it was something I was no longer used to. A few years ago I would write a new story every year during NaNoWriMo, but then I had so much I wanted to refine and so many plans that I... stopped. Years passed and what had been a one year break turned into something more and now the prospect of completing a novel in a month is quite daunting, no longer something I embrace as an achieveable challenge.

This year... I feel like is another chance. Look! I've written the whole first post of my new blog (achievement) and possibly talked myself into writing an entire new novel this year (surprising) and... I enjoyed it. So there're certainly going to be more of these posts on the horizon - although none quite like this.

Romi.x

Comments